Seabrook has a known archaeological history dating back to approximately 200 B.C. In 1666, British subject Lt. Col. Robert Sanford arrived on Seabrook as an explorer in royal service to King Charles II. By 1684, the local Stono Indians were persuaded to cede their lands to the proprietary government, which in turn sold the property to English settlers.
During the American Revolutionary years, the island was used as a staging area for Hessian and British troops. In 1816, the island was sold to William Seabrook of nearby Edisto Island, hence the present name. Under Seabrook’s ownership, the island was used for growing cotton. At the height of the Civil War, Seabrook sold the island to William Gregg who rented the land to Charles Andell.
Today Seabrook Island is a place of natural splendor, a coastal barrier island with lush maritime forest, wide expanse of marshes and pristine beaches. It is home to a country club with two championship golf courses, including one of the only 4 courses in South Carolina designed by Robert Trent Jones, Sr., a world class tennis center with 15 clay courts and pro shop, horseback riding, including beach rides, state of the art fitness and aquatic center and a new beach club.
Real estate offerings range from modestly priced villas to multi-million dollar beach homes. Most homes have beach, waterway, marsh or golf views. There are home sites available for purchase to build a new home upon. Club membership is required with all real estate purchases. There is a very strong rental management program available for those buyers who wish to avail themselves of rental income.
Exploring Seabrook Island is a treat we would love to share with you and your family.
Seabrook is an unincorporated community located in Beaufort County, South Carolina, USA. Situated in northern part of the county along the Whale Branch River, Seabrook was founded in the late 1700s as a collection of plantations became established in the area. In the late 1800s, Seabrook became a stop on the Port Royal and Augusta Railway and featured a small, but bustling downtown area that had a federal Post Office, a general store, a gas station, and a train station. The local economy was driven by the nearby farmland. The village's old economy and markets have since yielded to development in Beaufort, though the Post Office remains to serve the village's remaining inhabitants. In the past ten years, three new public schools have opened in the Seabrook area to serve area students, including Whale Branch Early College High School.